School District offers a variety of summer programs as part of our Extended
Year services covering everything from math to reading, to art, to program coding and
All programs are available to Alum Rock students at no cost and are hosted throughout district schools. At Alum Rock, we are always looking to better the education of our students and prepare them for our global society.
Alum Rock Mariachi - The Alum Rock Mariachi Program is an after school and summer program serving exclusively 3rd through 8th grade Alum Rock students. Implemented annually since 1998, the program’s goal is to provide access to an ethnic and culturally diverse, high quality, music education and performing arts program to the students of the Alum Rock Elementary School District.
The Alum Rock Mariachi’s Extended Year Summer Program is available to 150+ students and alumni of this program can participate as tutors for community service hours. This five week, Monday through Friday, summer program takes place from July 1st-29th at the Ocala STEAM Academy.
To register, interested students and families should contact Noli Magsino at email@example.com or by calling (408) 928-5615.
Alum Rock Summer Jazz Program
- The Alum Rock Jazz Band Program started in 1973 and has performed for literally tens of thousands of people since its genesis. Musicians, 5th-8th grade Alum Rock students, competitively audition each fall for the instrumental and vocal spots in the group for each academic year. Alum Rock Jazz Summer program continues their Jazz education over the summer and is available to Alum Rock students and alumni only from 5th – 12th grade. They will be grouped to form 3-4 bands based on ability.
To register, interested students and families should contact their school site’s music teacher or the program director Noli Magsino at firstname.lastname@example.org or by calling (408) 928-5615.
East Side Community Arts - East Side Community Arts Program is a four week, Monday through Friday, music/art/movement program for 3rd – 8th grade Alum Rock students. East Side Community Arts works to inspire positive interactions and creative lifestyles among youth living in East San Jose through the visual and performing arts.
To register, interested families and students should submit an online registration form that can be accessed here.
- The Visual and Performing Arts (VAPA) Musical Summer Program is a 5 week long, Monday through Friday, program for K – outgoing 8th
grade Alum Rock students. This program is available to all Alum Rock students with an audition.
Rehearsals will be held starting June 29 and run through July 17 from 1:00 p.m. to 4:00 p.m. at Joseph George Middle School, and from July 27 through July 29 at Linda Vista Elementary. All participating students will need to attend rehearsals at both schools.
To register, audition information for this program can be found here.
ALearn - The Math Acceleration Program (MAP) helps incoming middle school students improve their Pre-Algebra skills and starts them on the path to college. Students build confidence in their academic abilities through 19 days of computer-based learning, math games, and high quality instruction. Fun events such as the field trip to a local university, college inspiration night, and end-of-program celebration teach students about college and celebrate their successes. District math teachers lead the classrooms of 25-35 students with support from college student teaching assistants. Eligible students participate in the program for free.
Target students - current 6th and 7th grade
Summer program dates - June 20- July 21, 2016; Monday-Thursdays, NO Fridays; no school on Monday, July 4, 2016
Summer School sites will be: Fischer Middle School, Joseph George Middle School and Ocala Middle School
City Year Summer Day Camp - City Year Summer Leadership Academy (SLA) is a two-week summer program (August 1st-12th) that invites rising 2nd-8th grade students from our partner schools to engage in various math, literacy, and outdoor enrichment led by City Year Americorps Members. Americorps Members provide students with a fun and safe environment to fight the summer slide, and get them ready for the classroom by reviewing behavior and class participation protocols. Students who participate also receive a free breakfast and lunch. Participating school sites include:
- Meyer Elementary School
- Fischer Middle School
Elevate Math - The Extended Year Elevate Math program helps support students to prepare for Common Core 8 or Algebra equivalent. Students are taught by a credentialed teacher with help from a teaching assistant and volunteers. In addition to strengthening math skills, students will learn about college and how they can start preparing now.
- Since 1988, the José Valdés Math Institute has met its challenge to improve the mathematics education landscape in the East San Jose community. The goal of the program is for students to successfully pass Calculus before graduation from high school.
SCCOE and Alum Rock SPED - The Alum Rock Special Education Extended Year Program is an extension of the student’s current Individualized Educational Program (IEP). Students attending have met the required criteria through the IEP Team process.
Sign Up for a Summer Adventure in Alum Rock with THINK Together - The THINK Together Extended Year Summer program is 5 weeks long, Monday through Thursday, for current 1st –4th grade Alum Rock Students. This program is geared towards students that need additional help in meeting grade level standards in Reading and/or Writing who are enrolled in:
- Russo/McEntee will be the Summer School site for the following schools: Cureton Elementary, Linda Vista Elementary, Lyndale Elementary. McCollam Elementary, Painter Elementary, and Russo/McEntee Academy
- San Antonio Elementary will be the Summer School site for the following schools: Adelante Dual Language Academy, Aptitud, Arbuckle/Adelante II, Cassell Elementary, Cesar Chavez Elementary, Dorsa Elementary, Hubbard Elementary, Meyer Elementary, Ryan Elementary, and San Antonio Elementary
Summer School starts on Monday, June 20 and ends on July 21, 2016.
Time – 8:00 am to 12:00 pm; lunch will be served starting at 12:00 pm.
Days – Monday through Thursday, no Fridays; no school on Monday, July 4, 2016
Art and Design Thinking Camp - The Art & Design Thinking Camp is a 6-week summer program that engages middle school students in exploring design thinking processes, visual art and digital tools. Each week of camp has a different theme:
- Week 1 (June 27 - July 1): Design Your World
- Week 2 (July 5 - July 8): Art & the Environment
- Week 3 (July 1 - July 15: Fantasy Character Design
- Week 4 (July 18 - July 22): Adventures with Arduino
- Week 5 (July 25 -July 22): Storytelling with Circuitry
- Week 6 (August 1 - August 5): Game Design
This program is FREE for all entering 6th grade through 8th grade Alum Rock students but it is also open to non-Alum Rock students at cost. To register, interested students and families should submit an online registration form that can be accessed here.
6th Grade Summer Bridge Programs - Alum
Rock offers a week long 6th grade summer bridge program designed to ease the transition between
elementary and middle school. These programs are offered at:
1 at Fischer: August 8-12
2 at Mathson: August 8-12
To register, interested families should contact the local principal for more information.