English Learner Programs and Services
California State law requires that all English learners at the primary level be placed in an English language acquisition program that is appropriate for their grade and English proficiency level. The programs available at Alum Rock include:
- Structured English Immersion (SEI) designed for ELs who are new to English or at the early levels of English proficiency.
- Mainstream English Instruction (MEI) designed for ELs who have acquired reasonable fluency in English and are at higher levels of proficiency.
- Dual Language Program where bilingualism and biliteracy are promoted. For more information visit Adelante Dual Language Academy and Adelante II.
Tools and Resources to Support our English Learners
Designated and Integrated English Language Development (ELD)
We have a dual obligation to English Learners to provide meaningful access to grade-level instruction, while developing students' academic language proficiency though designated and integrated ELD instruction.
All teachers with ELs in their classrooms use the CA ELD Standards in tandem with the CA CCSS for ELA/Literacy and other content standards throughout the school day and across all subjects.
English Language Proficiency Assessments for California (ELPAC)
The ELPAC is the test that is used to measure how well students in kindergarten through twelfth grade understand English when it is not their primary language. The ELPAC is taking the place of the California English Language Development Test (CELDT). Information from the ELPAC helps your child’s teacher provide support in the right areas.
Guides for Understanding Your ELPAC Score Report
ELPAC Overview Video
ELPAC General Resources
- ELPAC Domain Sheet - English
- ELPAC Domain Sheet - Spanish
- ELPAC Fact Sheet - English
- ELPAC Fact Sheet - Spanish
Parent Guide to Understanding ELPAC