Alum Rock Union School District

Celebrating 90 years of excellence through Service, Perseverance, Love, Trust, & Equity!

Employment Opportunities

To view and apply for current job postings, please click on the links below:Apply Here!

Interested in workings as a Substitute Teacher?

If you have a Bachelor's Degree and passed the CBEST exam, you will qualify for a 30-day Substitute Teaching Permit.

If you have not passed the CBEST exam, you can submit coursework in lieu of taking the CBEST Exam. Coursework must be taken from a regionally accredited college or university and must meet the following criteria:

  • Earn a grade of "B" or better (B- okay).
  • Coursework must be towards academic credit (earned units) and degree applicable.
  • Three semester units (or equivalent quarter units) in the subjects below:
  • Reading- Critical thinking, literature, philosophy, reading, rhetoric, or textual analysis.
  • Writing -Composition, English, rhetoric, written communications, or writing.
  • Mathematics - Algebra, geometry, mathematics, quantitative reasoning, or statistics.

For more information regarding the CBEST alternative route, please contact Irma Barahona in the Human Resources
Department at 408 928-6806 or via email:

Classroom Teacher (Spanish) :

Employer: Alum Rock Union Elementary School District

Job Title: Classroom Teacher (Spanish)

Job Duties: Teach and provide instruction in Spanish Language Arts subject to English and Spanish speaking middle school students in grades 6 through 8 (Grade 6, 7 and 8); Design and plan daily lessons based on state standards, assessments, and dual immersion curriculum in Spanish and English; Facilitate comprehension in the Spanish language using context clues, visuals, and student-centered instruction; Differentiate both content and language learning to ensure students meet program assessments and outcomes; and Assist in the development of bilingual curriculum for the dual immersion program in Spanish and English.

Requirements: Bachelor’s degree (or foreign equivalent degree) in Education, Philology, Teaching English as a Foreign Language, Spanish or a related discipline and two years of experience as a Teacher, Spanish Teacher, Bilingual Spanish Teacher, Immersion Teacher - English/Spanish or a related occupation. Must have a valid California single subject teaching credential in Spanish or must have a California multiple subject teaching credential and be eligible for a California General Education Limited Assignment single subject teaching permit in Spanish. Fluency in Spanish language required. Background check, reference check and TB test required.

Job Site: 1970 Cinderella Lane, San Jose, CA 95116.

Hours: Full-time

Contact: Send resume to HR, Alum Rock Union Elementary School District, 2930 Gay Avenue, San Jose, CA 95127.

For Further Information Contact:
Human Resources Department: (408) 928-6835