Intradistrict (within ARUESD)
An elementary student residing in the Alum Rock Union Elementary School District may be granted an intradistrict transfer to attend another district school when space is available and when:
- Student of working parents receiving child care from the same person or program for at least one year.
- Child care must be located within the boundaries of the requested school.
- A change of residence within the district’s attendance boundaries.
- Students, who, through the student overflow process, were assigned a school due to lack of space availability at the attendance boundary area school and wish to continue at the school of assignment.
- Student whose parent/guardian is a district employee at the requested school. Student whose parent/guardian is employed within the attendance boundary of the requested school.
- Transportation services for intradistrict transfer students will not be provided by the district.
- Specialized programs are available
- Intra- District Form
Open Enrollment (Middle School transfers within ARUESD) Process
Open enrollment allows parents and students to select which middle school they wish to attend starting the new school year. In this process, parents and students may select up to three middle schools they wish to attend. Students will be placed on a space available basis. Applications are available at all schools and at the Student Services Department (2930 Gay Avenue San Jose, CA 95127). To help parent/guardians identify schools to consider for open enrollment, visits to observe schools may be scheduled by contacting individual middle school offices. Selection process as follows:
- All students who select their neighborhood school as their first choice or who do not select a school will be assigned to their neighborhood middle school.
- The number of students selected to attend a specific school will be based on space available at each grade level.
- Parents will be notified by letter of their child’s school by the Student Services Department
- Open Enrollment English Form
- Open Enrollment Spanish Form
- Open Enrollment Vietnamese Form
Interdistrict (between ARUESD and another District)
Students may transfer to another school district for last year privilege (grades 5 or 8), program offering not available in ARUESD, physical, emotional or psychological need (K-8), parental employment (K-6), or child care (K-6).
Applications are available through the Student Services Department at (408) 928-6938. Transportation services for interdistrict transfer students will not be provided by the district. Interdistrict transfer agreements must be renewed annually. Interdistrict students may be subject to displacement due to increased attendance at the transfer site. Principals have the right to recommend to the Director of Student Services to revoke a transfer based on a student’s poor attendance, poor academic performance and/or student’s inappropriate conduct