Alum Rock Union Elementary School District Boundary Map
Dear Parent(s) or Guardian(s):
The Board of Trustees believes that all children should have the opportunity to receive educational services. Staff shall encourage parents/guardians to enroll all school-aged children in school.
The Superintendent or designee shall maintain procedures which provide for the verification of all entrance requirements specified in law and in Board policies and regulations.
To make sure your child is ready for school, California Law, Education Code Section 49452.8, now requires that your child have an oral health assessment (dental checkup) in either kindergarten or first grade, whichever is his or her first year in public school. Assessments that have happened within the 12 months before your child enters school also meet this requirement. The law specifies that the assessment must be done by a licensed dentist or other licensed or registered dental health professional.
Age of Admission
A child who will reach the age of five on or before September 1st of the school year shall be eligible for enrollment in kindergarten at the beginning of that school year or at any later time in the same year. (Education Code 48000)
A child who will reach the age of five between September 2nd and March 31of the school year shall be eligible for enrollment in transitional kindergarten at the beginning of that school year or at any later time in the same year.
Criteria for Residency
Prior to admission in district schools, students shall provide proof of residency.
A student shall be deemed to have complied with residency requirements if he/she meets any of the following criteria:
Proof of Residency
The Superintendent or designee shall retain a copy of the document or written verification offered as proof of residency. In addition, the Superintendent or designee shall annually verify the student's residency and retain a copy of the document or written statement offered as verification. (5 CCR 432)
When presented with a substitute address designated by the Secretary of State for victims of domestic violence or stalking residing within district boundaries, the Superintendent or designee shall accept and use the substitute address for all future communication and correspondence and in all public records. (Government Code 6207)
If any district employee reasonably believes that the parent/guardian of a student has provided false or unreliable evidence of residency, the Superintendent or designee shall make reasonable efforts to determine whether the student meets legal residency requirements.
Reasonable evidence of residency may be established by documentation including, but not limited to, any of the following: (Education Code 48204.1)
Interdistrict Attendance Transfer Form
Click here for the English, Spanish, or Vietnamese version of the form.
- The student's parents/guardians reside within district boundaries.
- The student is placed within district boundaries in a regularly established licensed children's institution, a licensed foster home or a family home pursuant to a court-ordered commitment or placement.
- The student has been admitted through the interdistrict transfer process.
- The student is an emancipated minor residing within district boundaries.
- The student lives with a caregiving adult within district boundaries.
- The student resides in a state hospital located within district boundaries.
- The student is an elementary school student whose parent/guardian is employed within district boundaries. However, the district is not required to admit students for this reason.
- The student is confined to a hospital or other residential health facility within district boundaries for treatment of a temporary disability.
- District residency is not required for enrollment in a regional occupational center or program if there are openings in the program or class.
- Property tax payment receipts
- Rental property contract, lease, or payment receipts
- Utility service contract, statement, or payment receipts
- Pay stubs
- Voter registration
- Correspondence from a government agency
- Declaration of residency executed by the parent the parent or legal guardian of a pupil